HEALTH AND NUTRITION. HOW OUR GENOMES WILL DICTATE WHAT WE EAT
WHAT’S GOING ON
Eating is becoming personal, so personal that in ten years experts predict everyone will have their own diet, based on their own DNA.
According to ‘Plainsmart’, a clinic that specialises in wellness and weight management, people on genetically appropriate nutrition plans lose up to 76 percent more weight than those following a generic plan.
We are already seeing many start-ups around the world built around offering food solutions to customers based on their DNA.
‘Habit’, a company that has just launched in the USA offers personalised nutritional programs based on analysing a person’s DNA through a blood sample kit. They create individualised food plans and deliver the ingredients to the customer’s home – Lite’n’Easy on steroids!
‘Lifenome’, a company that specialises in genome science offers personalised health and wellness trait reports based on the unique genetic makeup of individuals. People can access reports ranging from nutrition, skin, food allergies to fitness profiles all based on DNA testing.
‘Nutrigenomix’, a start-up biotechnology company offers healthcare professionals and their clients with comprehensive genomic information aimed at improving health through personalised nutrition. They offer test kits that allow health professionals to counsel their clients according to their unique genetic profile.
London-based genomics company ‘DNAFit’ also offers programs to help their customers refine their exercise and nutrition plan all based on DNA testing.
And outside of the food world, a new gym in London offers customers with the choice to have DNA testing aimed at providing them with insight into what works best for them in terms of recovery, training methods and diet.
GROWTH MANTRA’S PREDICTION
- While personalisation has been an enduring trend ever since the advent of the Internet, we believe we are now at its pointy end.
- While creating your own Nike shoe with your favourite colours is fun and novel, personalisation in food based on your unique DNA will have some real ground-breaking implications on the health and well-being of populations around the world.
- While the last two decades has focused on fad diets advocating weight loss, protein, cutting out sugar from your diet and so on, we believe we are on the cusp of a food revolution that will see a shift away from generic diets to diet plans based on the unique genetic makeup of individuals
- This could mark the end of the multimillion dollar weight loss industry that feeds off fad diets that until now have had little to no impact on the obesity epidemic we are facing.
- With predictions stating that parents could soon begin to outlive their children because of an epidemic of obesity afflicting the younger generation, we could start to see mandatory DNA testing in schools.
- We predict home cooking will undergo a renewed emergence as more people shift away from manufactured and industrialised food products that disrupt their DNA.
- We also expect to see more food services popping up offering personalised meals based on an individual’s DNA. Customers will start building their DNA food profile to share with food service companies, governments will start running campaigns to educate people about healthy eating based on DNA results and people will suddenly have more energy to get the most out of life.