WHAT’S GOING ON
- As more and more countries legalise recreational and medical marijuana, we are seeing a new and interesting phenomenon develop – cannabis tourism! Below is just a glimpse into this burgeoning industry.
- ‘Bud and Breakfast’ is touted as the Airbnb for Cannabis travellers. An online platform described as “the largest collection of marijuana-friendly hotels and other cannabis-friendly rentals anywhere on the web.” It works the same way as Airbnb, allowing homeowners to offer their places to travellers for truly unique ‘cannabis experiences’ with some using weed-inspired names to attract travellers including ‘Pothead’s Paradise,’ and ‘Cannabis Crash Pad’.
- A small boutique hotel called ‘Desert Hot Springs Inn’ in California has recently rebranded itself as a cannabis-friendly hotel – its website makes reference to belonging to a city that ‘produces the best marijuana in the country’ while providing guests with the opportunity to ‘relax and enjoy medical marijuana’, including unique CBD oil massages for pain relief and heating up a vaporizer in the room. The hotel is also exploring bringing an infusion chef to create ‘good cannabis food’.
- In Oregon, USA, Jupiter Hotel is offering the first cannabis-friendly package in the state – it comes with a hotel room, a munchie kit, vape pen, lighter, grinder, rolling papers and discount coupons to local dispensaries.
- We are also about to see the launch of a health and wellness cannabis-based chain of hotels and resorts in the USA called The Coachill Inn. The first is expected to open in California in 2020 aimed at creating a total cannabis and wellness experience.
- Cannabis-based touring companies are also booming – covering a range of activities from bus trips to cannabis growth facilities, allowing guests to stock up and sample to cannabis baking/cooking classes and dinner parties.
‘Bud and Breakfast’ is touted as the Airbnb for Cannabis travellers. An online platform described as “the largest collection of marijuana-friendly hotels and other cannabis-friendly rentals anywhere on the web.”
GROWTH MANTRA’S PREDICTION
- As the cannabis tourism market gains traction we may see some airline’s get on the bandwagon by offering first-class passengers the choice of a joint or two while ‘high’ up in the air. However, with cannabis laws governed by each state in the US and many countries still outlawing the drug, this may be difficult.
- We expect to see growth in the number of cannabis-based events e.g. festivals, cooking tours and possibly the rise of medical cannabis tourism – people travelling to other countries who legalise the drug to get treated for a certain health condition.
- With apps now being an important companion for many travellers, we predict a rise in the number of apps helping ‘cannabis tourists’ discover and enjoy a cannabis-based experience in their land of travels.